Wednesday, 14 June 2006

R & R

I thought I would reflect on my time spent in R & R from school. Hmmm.. what a crap way of describing what I did in my holidays! Two weeks! It just goes! The best plans and excellent strategies just fly out the window, but who cares?

People who know me understand that my passion is sewing, it doesn't matter what I sew, I'm just happy sewing. The last few years have been spent at TAFE upgrading industry skills and culminated in the short course patternmaking programme in clothing and textiles. So I was quite pleased with myself in drafting a pattern and making all the necessary adjustments and notations on paper; even making up the toile worked well. And then Murphy's Law is applied when using fashion fabric:
  • The seam you meant to rip out is invariably the other one.
  • When you are in a hurry, the needle eye is always too small.
  • Your bobbin thread will only run out in the middle of a long line of stitching.
  • Even though you have not moved off your chair, the scissors you just put down will not be in sight when you need them.
  • When you have found the scissors, it appears that the spouse had been using them to cut his big toe nails!
  • Any irreversible mistake will be in direct proportion to the cost of the fabric....Or to how much work you will have to redo, or both!

After taking in the side seam I started to rip out the old seam line, when the stitch ripper accelerated (all on its own, mind you) and landed into the fashion fabric. Anyway, I'm not too concerned that the garment was ruined as the cost of the fabric was a mere $1 per metre at the end of last year's winter clearance. The fabric was supposed to be used to make up a jacket - the pattern drafting was part of my assessment. I worked a perfect upper welt pocket though, I am a bit sad on letting this go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh bah humbug!! You are quite right. I think it is also inversely proportionate to the importance of the item you are sewing, and how soon it needs to be done. Your welt pocket is to die for though : so perfect!!! You must have had just a tiny bit of happy sewing!!!!
I hope you go back to some peace and happiness at work!!!!!!
You are right about The Labradors : there is never a dull moment, but I love every moment, good or not so good!!! I am lucky to have them both.