Sunday, 17 September 2006

More Toby in the holidays


Toby takes his sentry duties very very seriously. Here he is making his report on the house diagonally opposite. Jasmine the golden retriever lives over there and has found a way to escape her back yard. Sadly she wanders the street and has nearly been knocked over.

Toby is terribly brave; he has no fear whatsoever. I don't know if this is a good thing or otherwise. When we go out into our back yard, he will often run up to the back fence line and stir up Ben's 'huntn' dogs; a spaniel type thing and a kelpiecattle dog sort of. I think its the kelpie that starts screaming, but anyway its a fun thing to do (and I smile and let him indulge in this little tirade but not for too long). He stops when I call him and he always agrees that it was fun.

While on school holidays, we have been for walkies twice a day. He loves it, and can't wait to get the harness on. In his eagerness to get going, he does pull on the harness for the first block or so, but soon settles down to a very quick gait. Sometimes I have trouble keeping up with him!

A strange thing happened this morning.... I dropped Mel off to work this morning, and usually Toby sits shotgun with me, but this time I had to leave him at home because I had to go elsewhere after and I'm not keen to leave him in the car. John was at home and said that Toby started howling soon after we left. I don't know if this is something he does all the time when we all go off to school/work in the morning, I will never know. I was a bit concerned and dismayed when I heard this and I don't know how to remedy this situation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute is Toby?? He is a little darling!! I like that he is like a sentry. It is distressing to think he howls piteously when you leave him. You don't know, do you, because you are gone? Peri does this when I take Harki to the Vet. All the neighours think she is being murdered!!!Now I always give The Labradors a bone or a treat when I leave. Sad to say, they are now excited when I go out and say 'Hurry up and go so we can have a treat!!'