Monday, 18 December 2006

so this is Christmas

Frenzied activity. There's no other way to describe Christmas. I haven't even got my little Christmas tree up yet ... I must do soon! Very soon, otherwise Santa won't know where to put all my gifts! And I have been very very good!

With Christmas comes the receiving of anticipated Christmas cards from close friends that you don't see all that often but still keep in touch, family that live far away in other states and acquaintances from overseas that you have 'met' in cyberspace.

I always look forward to receiving Christmas card and birthday card from Jean and vice versa. I used to work with Jean more than 20 years ago at a highschool in Qld. We both worked in the Library. When we moved to Tassie we kept in touch. She wrote a lot about her children, and as one by one they got married ... along came the grandkids. She wrote about them with such love and fervour that it was enjoyable to keep track of them all and I never once tired of hearing of their disappointments and achievements.

With the first batch of Christmas cards in our mailbox, I eagerly looked for one sent by Jean. None there, so I left the pile on the kitchen table to open after tea. Later that evening as I mused over the pile of unopened letters/cards, I noticed handwriting that I was not familiar with. I opened it ... "it is with deep sadness that we have to inform you of the passing of our mother on 20th September 2006 after a short illness. During the course of finalising Mum's estate we found her Christmas list which included the names of people that Mum was preparing to send Christmas cards to. Whilst we do not personally know everyone on this list we felt it only fitting to honour her memory by completing this final task on her behalf ....."

So sad, so very very sad. I did not have time to say goodbye. I did not know that Jean was unwell.

My grief, my pain, my tears.

2 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

many hugs

all we can do is to do our very best each and every day

no regrets

Rosie said...

Thank you for your kind words, quiltingfitzy, it has helped to ease my sorrow.