Sew, what is it that I collect? Well the truth is that ..... I hoard and stash, but not collect. It is an inherited trait. My parents are great hoarders, as was their parents. I remember my dearest Nanna having a great stash of wool. Real 100% wool, usually Patons wool. She was always knitting, her hands were never still. When Nanna passed away and the family were tidying up the home, there they found a huge amount of wool, still presented in its clear cellophane type wrapping. Incredible. I inherited her knitting needles, all sorts of plastic and tortoiseshell, and a few tatting shuttles that were all kept in a hard plastic needle case. The lid of the needle case also served as the knitting needle gauge. All manner of different sized holes adorned the lid, and you poke your knitting needle in the hole that fits best and it correlates to a number. This is the size of the needle. But the sizing of needles are all different now and it calls for a different numbering gauge.
My father dabbles in calligraphy, and a beautiful hand at that. I think that he hopes that I may take up the art because everytime I go to Sydney to visit, he offloads inks, in cartridges and bottles, and assorted nibs and pens. And I marvel at his works and displays. I am in awe. Yes, one day I will.
And what about that stash of fabric that every serious sewer/quilter has? There's always a story behind that bit of fabric that you purchased, and there's always a plan in the back of your mind for the future use of that fabric. You know what I mean. I need not say more.
(..... and I rather think that he knows it!)

1 comment:
I like The Collectors, my mum went to their Christnmas filming last year!! I saw the wrestlin' lollipop lady but a shootin' one too?? Very strange. I remember that kind of needle case. I think my nan had one too. Toby is so handsome and that's a great picture!!!
Post a Comment